Collection and Gallery Coordinator
The Collection and Gallery Coordinator will be a goal-oriented professional who has strong experience in collection management, preservation, conservation, and project management. Reporting to the Executive Director the Coordinator will have day-to-day oversight and management of the collection preservation and conservation, as well as gallery operations. This individual will ensure best practices are followed in the operations and management of the collection. This individual will maintain the quality and integrity of the museum’s impressive collection and maintain the important culture of teamwork, transparency, communication, and commitment to the mission.
Roles and Responsibilities
Collections Stewardship and Conservation
- Apply Collections Care and Conservation policies, processes, procedures and professional standards.
- Provide advice and guidance on all aspects concerning the care and conservation of the collection, recommending appropriate storage and display conditions and advising staff on the packing, handling and movement of Museum objects where appropriate.
- Plan, arrange and supervise the Museum’s Conservation Cleaning program to ensure objects on display and in storage are regularly inspected, assessed, and treated in accordance with best practices.
- Supervise staff and interns involved with the collection management process.
- Develop, maintain and implement the Museum’s Collections Care and Conservation Plan.
- Monitor environmental requirements in line with the Museum’s policies, procedures regarding inward and outward loan agreements.
- Plan and arrange the implementation of the preservation assessment routines in order to identify and report risks and contribute to an effective Collections Review.
- Develop sustainable solutions for collections care, storage, monitoring, assessment, exhibition, access and engagement.
- Design, implement, maintain and review Collections Care and Conservation policies and procedures in accordance with Museum best practices.
- Conduct other duties as and when required to foster, support and promote effective Collections Management.
Gallery and Exhibitions
- Conceptualize and develop on and off-site curated exhibits as defined by the exhibition schedule.
- Responsible for facility design and management including build-out strategy and gallery layout
- Contribute, when applicable, to on and off-site program and project development.
- Oversight of the museum schedule and group tours and speakers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other key competencies include:
- Self-Management and Personal Accountability – Can prioritize activities to meet or exceed the expectations set forth in the role.
- Planning and Organizing – Ability to set strategic and operational goals that are attainable and in line with organizational goals and objectives.
- Interpersonal Skills – The ability to build rapport and effectively communicate and relate well to people.
Master’s degree in museum related studies. Experience with conservation management and the practice is required. Candidates must have a passion for the NVAM mission and the historical significance of its collection.
Compensation and Benefits
NVAM provides competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Applications and Inquiries
Military Veterans are encouraged to apply. Please submit a letter and resume and cover letter to:
Please indicate “Collection and Gallery Coordinator position” in the subject line.